Canadian National Railway Company Transportation Internship- US in Homewood, Illinois
Transportation Internship- US
Summer Internship for Transportation
CN is currently seeking candidates who are working towards obtaining a Bachelors or Masters degree specializing in Transportation or Logistics for a paid internship during the Summer of 2020 (May 11- August 21, 2020).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shadow key positions such as: Conductor, Engineer, Yardmaster, Trainmaster, Assistant Superintendant, Superintendent and General Managers
- Ride freight trains with conductors and engineers for the purpose of observing operations and gathering performance data
- Keep time records for operations
- Observe safety and efficiency tests
- Attend safety meetings and summits
- Participate in special projects and assignments to increase productivity and efficiency
- Learn key computer systems used in railroad operations such as TMDS, SRS, CATS and SAP
- Attend Conference Calls
Must be 18 years of age
Valid driver's license
Must be a legal U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident
Must be a student currently enrolled and working towards a degree in Mechanical/Agricultural, Biological Engineering with a focus on off-road equipment and heavy machinery or a related field
Displays computer proficiency
Strong written and oral communication skills are necessary in English
Ability to travel, with minimal notice, anywhere within our U.S. operations during the internship
Ability to work both inside and outside in all types of weather conditions
Ability to pass a background investigation pertaining to federal and state criminal history, including driver history
Must be able to attend orientation, May 11, 2020 in Homewood, IL
- Work shift work, including nights, weekends and holidays
- Combination of office work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Enforce safe work procedures and policies
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice
The Ideal Candidate Profile: **
- **Interested in a career as a Mechanical Supervisor following the internship
- Knowledge of railway practices, railway design standards, industry standards and federal regulations affecting railway facilities and operations
- Demonstrates the ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions.
- Is result-focused, while prioritizing daily tasks.
- Excellent English verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and company satisfaction.
- Prior experience working with or managing a unionized environment
- Understands and applies safety standards
- Previous experience in a railroad environment
- Students that are entering their Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Possible locations include anywhere along our U.S. network #IC
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.